The successful candidate will have strong academics, having received high quality training and experience to date. They should have a broad background in all kinds of IP disputes and litigation, which should include trade marks, designs and copyright . The successful candidate will have experience in a wide range of IP matters including litigation in the High Court and IPEC, IP Office proceedings, domain name disputes, online enforcement and pre-dispute advisory work. Ideally they will also have hands on experience of litigation tasks at various stages of cases, preferably including evidence preparation, interim injunction mediation, CMCs, costs budgeting, disclosure and trial.
The successful candidate will have the desire and ability to be pro-active and flexible and adapt their skills to work on a very broad range of contentious matters. Strong drafting skills and negotiating experience are essential.
Some experience in complementary non-contentious IP work, i.e. drafting IP agreements (licences, settlement agreements, etc) and an ability to deal with wider contract/tort issues is beneficial. The group also handles ASA and other advertising clearance and disputes, and occasionally consumer protection issues, and experience in these, or interest in acquiring such experience, would also be of interest to us.
We are seeking the right person to provide excellent quality legal advice delivered in a pragmatic and commercial manner, free from jargon. It is key that we find a team player who is prepared to undertake both tasks that stretch the candidate and tasks that are less demanding but nevertheless important to getting the job done. The role will involve working directly with partners and also with other lawyers in the Group.
In addition, the successful candidate must:
- Be at ease with digital technology
- Be able to manage multiple matters and prioritise and organise their workload accordingly
- take responsibility for tasks when appropriate but be able to follow direction competently and efficiently
- Be able to think and act independently when required but know when to ask for help and take instructions
- Adapt to a wide variety of tasks, depending on the nature of the matter or size of the team, and be willing to get involved with all aspects of a matter
- Work independently and progress matters without constant supervision
- "Pitch in" when working on larger matters and cases
- Be confident and sociable when dealing directly with clients and colleagues
- Buy in to the firm's culture and value
- Be a willing public speaker/marketer (or demonstrate potential) and take an active role and interest in firm training sessions, and marketing and business development within the firm and across all the firm's industries
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.