Rotterdam, South Holland
8 months ago
For Braskem, a Brazilian company operating in the chemical and petrochemical sector, I'm currently on an exlusive search for a German qualified Legal Counsel to be based at their European headquarters in Rotterdam. Braskem operates 41 industrial units in Brazil, the United States, Germany and Mexico.
Its production is focused on thermoplastic resins - polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) - as well as basic chemical inputs such as ethylene, propene, butadiene, chlorine, soda and solvents.
Its growth strategy is based on the pillars of Innovation and Sustainable Development, focusing on ensuring the excellence of its operations, innovating in solutions for a better life and developing an increasingly sustainable product portfolio. There are concrete initiatives in this regard, such as the launch of green plastic, produced from renewable sources, and the continuous evolution of its health, safety and environmental performance indicators.
About the role:
The German Legal Counsel is responsible for providing timely, accurate and professional legal support to the Company's operations in Schkopau/Wesseling (Germany), as well as procurement and Logistics/Supply Chain throughout Europe and Asia (EA). This position also ensures all business activities are within the company guidelines, policies and procedures in order to ensure statutory and regulatory compliance.
A successful candidate has excellent client skills and is able to balance the business needs within the applicable Company policies, regulations and legal risks to facilitate a successful business outcome. The ideal candidate works independently but can also work on collaborative teams as part of a dynamic, fast-paced and international organization.
This position is located in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Willingness to travel to Schkopau/Wesseling, Germany is required.
You will be responsible for:
- Demonstrate and promote commitment to a safe and healthy workplace.
- Provide legal counsel on general operational issues for the manufacturing sites in Germany to ensure compliant, reliable and safe operations while maintaining the best possible competitive position.
- Review, negotiate, draft and provide advice on procurement, supply chain/logistics and utilities contracts for EA supporting teams in The Netherlands and Germany, and manage associated risks thereof.
- Assist in drafting standard templates, policies, procedures and other legal documents to provide effective and efficient legal counsel.
- Partner with plant managers in Germany to ensure the Company is well-positioned when regulatory and business changes occur.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance with regards to HSE matters to ensure compliance with Company HSE policies and applicable regulations.
- Provide advice on operating permits and certifications.
- Provide advice and guidance to the EA procurement and logistics/supply chain teams on laws and regulations that impact the Company's operations in Europe and manage the compliance risk.
- Develop and conduct training programs for employees to transfer knowledge and ensure compliance with applicable policies and regulation.
- Manage external counsel to assist in legal matters that require additional counsel, to include assessing the quality of the work and cost efficiency.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- German Law Degree
- Bar qualified and/or in-house experience
- 3-6 years of post-qualification experience in a major law firm or corporation
- Experience in manufacturing businesses is required
- Experience in procurement and supply chain/logistics transactions is preferred
- Experience in matters of energy law and emission rights is desired
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a dynamic, fast-paced and demanding environment with quick response time
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in an organized, effective and timely manner
- Ability to work in an international environment through teams, deliver high quality work within deadline, and to meet objectives
- Fluent in German and English
- Proficiency in Dutch or Portuguese as a plus
For more information or to apply, please contact Tobias Herweijer on +31 6 39025860 or email email@example.com quoting ref: 1152742
The SR Group (UK) Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.