This is a fantastic opportunity for a broad corporate commercial lawyer, to join an international oil & gas business, where you will operate as the sole counsel in the UK, but be part of a much larger international legal team.
You should have a can-do attitude and be comfortable working autonomously and occasionally stepping out of your comfort zone, but also be know when to delegate and manage external counsel.
You will have ideally been trained and qualified at a top city law firm in the UK, as well as have some in-house experience, as you will be the go-to in-house lawyer for any and all legal matter in the UK office, whilst also supporting the various international offices as and when required.
- To provide advice and guidance to the different Business Units Management and businesses to ensure that the business of the relevant operating units is conducted in accordance with, and with the benefit of, English law and the legal counsel in the principal operating affiliates is effective and supportive to the business.
- To provide advice as appropriate to Operating Business Units supervising the activities of outside counsel in the provision of legal advice to ensure that their advice is responsive, effective and represents the best value to the Company for the cost involved.
- To review contracts to be entered into by the business and support departments, as well as those entered by other international businesses with activities UK.
- To participate in the selection and management of outside legal advisers, formation of new corporate vehicles and legal entities and development of joint venture agreements.
- To support the General Counsel for legal activity in core teams engaged in new refining and marketing mega projects worldwide, and the drafting & negotiation of all related documentation including EPC documentation, project development documentation, and project finance agreements.
- To advise Management to ensure that the legal corporate structure and its entities represent a robust and effective framework for the management and safeguard of assets and resources, including the management and maintenance of the Legal Manager system and corporate housekeeping repository.
- To support the General Counsel in the protection of the business trademark portfolio, in conjunction with the General Counsel and the Marketing adviser and utilizing outside trademark agents.
- To provide the business units with expert advice on all English law matters relating to the operation and development of the international downstream business in UK, International.
- In coordination with the General Counsel, to be responsible for the implementation and update of the Antitrust policy, including the necessary training and the review and audit of the existing compliance program
- To work alongside the Compliance Officer and the General Counsel for the implementation and update of the Code of Conduct and compliance programme regarding anti-corruption including compliance office tasks and internal investigations, and, with the Compliance Officer, also to be responsible for the Corporate Compliance within the business and including other areas like Data Protection (including the GDPR regime), Modern Slavery, Anti-bribery & Anticorruption, etc.
- To manage all Litigation, ensuring proper communication and interaction with business units management to adopt necessary provisions and actions to mitigate impact.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.