The University of New England (UNE), Armidale is a regionally based, globally networked university that is renowned for the quality of its student experience and the excellence of its research specialisations. UNE pioneered teaching to external students making it the most experienced provider of distance and innovative online education. Currently there are over 20,000 students (80% of whom are distance/online students) and approximately 1,250 academic and general staff.
The Legal Office is responsible for the provision of legal services to the University and reports to the Chief Legal and Governance Officer, who is the University's General Counsel. These services include advising all levels of University management on all general legal, commercial, contractual, intellectual property and relating policy issues. The position reports to the Director, of Legal Services (Dispute Resolution).
- Provide strategic legal advice to senior management, academic staff and to the University's controlled and related entities including contractual issues and disputes, intellectual property, corporate and commercial law, administrative law, privacy and access to information, University policies and Commonwealth and NSW legislation.
- Be accountable for advice regarding the terms of various contracts to which the University is party including drafting, negotiating changes as necessary and recommending their acceptance or otherwise.
- Provide general legal advice to the University including; commercial matters, procurement, construction and planning, real property, corporate structures, bequests and trusts, intellectual property, insurance and indemnties.
- Prepare, check and approve all required University contracts.
- Lead the staff of the Legal Office in the preparation of University contracts.
- Identify emerging relevant legal issues such as changes to legislation applicable to the activities of the University and provide advice regarding the University's management of such changes.
- Undertake regular stakeholder engagement, consultation and feedback, which may include training and education programs to facilitate best practice and the University's compliance with its legal obligations.
- In conjunction with the Director Legal Services, seek to implement best practice and continuous business improvement processes, including an up to date and best practice Legal Office website to facilitate optimum service delivery.
- In conjunction with the Director Legal Services, maintain and update of a precedent bank for the Legal Office, including contracts for goods and services, intellectual property agreements, collaboration agreements with other Universities and institutions, placement agreements, licences, sponsorship agreements, confidentiality agreements, placement agreements and research agreements.
- Ensure knowledge of the Rules, Policies and Procedures of the University is maintained and abide by them as they are amended, varied or replaced from time to time.
To be successful in this role you will be admitted to practice and will have extensive post admission experience in commercial law. You will have demonstrated leadership experience with superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Shortlisted candidates will be required to respond to selection criteria that will be provided.
To apply please send your CV to Yvonne Tucker email@example.com. Taylor Root are exclusively managing the recruitment of this position on behalf of UNE. All direct and third party applications will be forwarded to Taylor Root for consideration.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.
For a full review of our active roles, please visit our website at www.taylorroot.com.au
Taylor Root is part of the The Specialist Recruitment Group PTY LTD, which is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.