Our client, a leading global aircraft lessor, seeks a Counsel to join its US team.
This role is responsible for supporting the business with respect to the structuring, drafting & negotiation of aircraft acquisitions & sales, sale-leasebacks & lease transactions & related matters. Provides advice & counsel to Commercial team on legal matters. Develops/maintains commercial policies & procedures and monitors to ensure compliance. Provides advice to management on commercial contracts, legal issues & acceptable business compromises. Conducts corporate secretarial, governance and house-keeping services.
- The individual will be an integral part of Legal staff and will be responsible for delivering premier legal services to the business, both directly and through management and supervision of outside counsel
- Execute on the legal strategy and direction for assigned area, including the drafting and negotiation of aircraft lease agreements, aircraft purchase and sale agreements and related transaction documents
- Advise Commercial teams on a wide variety of legal issues related to deal structuring and aviation transactions, including aircraft acquisitions and sales, sale-leaseback transactions and operating lease transactions, including lease-in/lease-out transactions
- Work with assigned Commercial teams to evaluate legal risks and develop implementing procedures to mitigate such risks
- Will provide general leasing transactional support to deal teams operating in the United States and corporate housekeeping services
- Responsible for portfolio management matters including reviewing and negotiating consents and waivers, delivery/redelivery issues, drafting/negotiation/closing of lease amendments, extensions, side letter agreements, engine swaps, aircraft registrations/de-registrations, aircraft insurance matters, subleasing requests, defaults, work-outs, repossessions, Cape Town Convention related matters, etc.
- Support advising the Business Segment on related regulatory issues and compliance matters
- Prepare updates on legal developments and requirements to various audiences and provide ongoing advice on applicable laws and regulations governing the Commercial activities of assigned business
- Maintain Commercial policies and procedures and monitor to ensure compliance
- Maintain a good understanding of the industry and Commercial awareness to understand the positioning of the assigned business relative to competitors
- Must also maintain knowledge of the challenges and changes in the sector and how they relate to the company and legal strategy
- Bachelor's Degree and JD
- Qualified to practice in a state in the US (NY qualification preferred)
- Minimum 3 years' post-qualification experience in relevant Commercial Transaction area(s), based on experience at a large law firm, financial firm, regulatory/governmental agency or corporate legal department.
- Experience from Aviation Leasing Industry or Law Firm dealing with aviation leasing is preferred.
- Experience negotiating complex legal terms with external clients with proven ability to find creative solutions in difficult/ complex business structures.
- Experience with and understanding of the aviation industry and technical aspects of aircraft
- Must be willing to travel up to 30%
- Established ability to influence actions without direct leadership responsibility for teams or processes with a proven ability to build relationships within a matrixed environment (both cross-functionally and cross-business)
- Ability to work independently and self-motivated
- Excellent interpersonal skills - demonstrated success in working effectively with colleagues and outside parties
- Proven leadership and business partnering skills
- Ability to function mostly independently and effectively as a member of the legal organization and commercial deal teams
- Experience leading successful negotiations
The SR Group (US), Inc. is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.